Teacher application form
For teachers we are running a sponsorship programme to help you develop the skills and knowledge to teach effectively in the 21st century school at the Via Afrika Digital Education Academy. The Academy offers training in 36 two-hour sessions across four broad elearning themes. Read more about the Via Afrika Digital Academy here.
We have developed a clear learning path for each teacher, in order to ensure that you benefit fully from each session you finish. Therefore, you will start with the course on digital learning in schools. This course will lay the foundations for successfully using technology in your own life as well as the classroom.
If you want to participate in this programme you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be employed as a teacher and registered with the South African Council of Educators.
- You must already own an Android or Windows tablet or have regular access (more than five hours a week) to one.
- Your principal must support your participation in the programme. (On the application form the principal must indicate their support.)
- You must make a commitment to participate actively in this programme. This means:
- You will participate actively in the session and complete all the activities to the best of your ability.
- You will complete the training assessments and submit it on time.
- You agree to writing two letters to the person or persons who sponsored your training first to thank them for their support and then when you complete the session to tell them what you learned.
- Because the training takes place online, you must have access to a computer and data to participate in a training session. These sessions are all prerecorded, which means that you can finish them at your own pace and in your own time on an internet-connected computer.
Ready to improve your teaching skills and knowledge? Complete the form below!
School application form
For schools we are running a programme that will help you improve your learners’ Maths in Grades R to 7. This will be done using the amazing Via Afrika Tabtor Maths programme. You can read more about the programme here.
- Your school must already own a set of tablets. Unfortunately, at this moment the programme cannot assist you to buy tablets. You will need at least one tablet for every four learners to work on at different times.
- You must include an entire grade in the programme*. You can do this quick calculation to see if you have enough tablets – number of learners in grade divided by number of tablets. Your answer must be 4 or less.
- You must be able to demonstrate that you have a track record in managing digital education effectively. (On the application form there is space to tell us about what has been happening in your school with digital education.)
- Your School Governing Body, Principal, Head of Maths and the Maths teachers must commit to participate actively in this programme. This means:
- Attendance at all elements of the training programme
- Willingness to change the ways of teaching and learning in Maths – learners have to spend at least two sessions of 30 minutes per week using Via Afrika Tabtor Maths
- Willingness to do the (very easy) marking and worksheet assignment needed by Via Afrika Tabtor Maths
- Willingness to adapt the school timetable (if necessary) to meet the needs of the Via Afrika Tabtor Maths programme. We will discuss this in detail with you once you apply
- Willingness to complete the regular reporting requests that we will share with the sponsors of the programme
- Willingness to write a letter of thanks as well as updates to the sponsors from time-to-time
- Willingness to learn a new way of doing things and enjoy it too!
*You can of course include more than one grade as long as you have enough tablets. We recommend that you start off with one grade only, otherwise it will take too long to secure the funding.
Ready to change the way Maths is done in your school? Complete the form below!